Development of international cooperation is an inalienable constituent of sustainable development of the JSC “National Managing Holding “Baiterek”. The activity of the Department for international cooperation directed on achievement of that objective.
February 27-28, 2017. Chairman of the Executive Board of JSC «National Managing Holding «Baiterek» Yerbolat Dosayev took part in Russian Investment Forum held in Sochi, in which he held a series of meetings with officials and leaders of Russian business entities.
Yerbolat Dosayev met with the President of the Republic of Tatarstan Rustam Minnikhanov, Minister of economic development Maksim Oreshkin and the Deputy Chief of Staff of Russian Federation Andrey Slepnev, with whom they discussed bilateral trade and investment cooperation.
Chairman of the Holding «Baiterek» discussed issues of the cross-border trade and investment cooperation with Chelyabinsk region governor Boris Dubrovsky, governor of Orenburg region Yuri Berg and the governor of Omsk region Viktor Nazarov.
Among business partners, Yerbolat Dosayev met with director general of export center Pyotr Fradkov, vice president of «Gasprombank» JSC Sergey Nekrasov, President – Chairman of the Board of «Sberbank of Russia» PJSC Herman Greff and Chairman of the Board of Eurasian Development Bank Dmitry Pankin.
Summarizing the discussions of the two-day Forum, Chairman of the Holding noted, that: «development of cooperation of the Holding «Baiterek», exchange of experience and progressive banking technologies with leading Russian financial organizations and development institutions would further strengthen trade and economic relations and increase the level of investments of both countries».
April 21, 2017. Chairman of the Executive Board of JSC «National Managing Holding «Baiterek» Yerbolat Dosayev held a meeting with Chinese delegation led by Wang Yanzhi, the President of the Silk Road Fund.
Parties have discussed a broad range of issues related to bilateral investment cooperation.
In particular, Chinese party expressed interest in collaborative project implementation on providing rural population with the quality access to the Internet. «We look forward to working with the Holding «Baiterek» on providing rural settlements of Kazakhstan with fiber-optic communication lines», - said the President of the Silk Road Fund, Wang Yanzhi.
In his turn head of the group of companies of the Holding «Baiterek» Yerbolat Dosayev noted, that the Holding possesses all the necessary tools of the technical and financial support. «We are prepared to actively develop and diversify cooperation with the Silk Road Fund», - said Yerbolat Dosaev, noting the importance of collaborative participation in projects that have regional integrative effect.
During implementation of shared projects, the Holding is prepared to provide holistic support through its subsidiaries on the «one stop shop» principle, said Yerbolat Dosayev. This includes the provision of a wide variety of services – from development of feasibility studies and structuring the projects to debt, shared and export financing.
At the moment JSC «National Managing Holding «Baiterek» actively cooperates with leading financial organizations and banks of China. These include China Development Bank, Export-Import Bank of China, «Sinosure» Agency, CITIC etc.
The Silk Road Fund – is a Chinese investment bank that deals with major investments into infrastructure projects as a part of the «New Silk Road» initiative.
June 15, 2017. Within the X Astana Economic Forum JSC «National Managing Holding «Baiterek» jointly with the Reinventing Bretton Woods Committee held a high-level session «IMPROVEMENT OF THE INVESTMENT CLIMATE AND THE INTERNATIONAL COMPETITIVENESS OF KAZAKHSTAN ».
During the course of the session issues were discussed, related to the diversification of economy of Kazakhstan and lessening the dependency from natural resources, that are vulnerable to the price volatility effect of world commodities.
This session included powerful statements on new growth drives for Central Asia and Kazakhstan, conducting business in Kazakhstan and reinforcing regional cooperation and openness to global and regional markets, from such speakers as:
Timur Zhaksylykov, Member of the Panel (Minister) of Eurasian Economic Commission on the Economy and Financial Policy;
Dmitry Pankin, Chairman of the Board of the Eurasian Development Bank;
James McCormack, Head of Sovereign Ratings, Fitch agency;
Bolat Zhamishev, Chairman of the Board of Kazakhstan Development Bank, Minister of Finance of the Republic of Kazakhstan (2007-2013);
Matilda Mensard, Deputy Director of Finance and Enterprise Affairs, OECD;
Tomash Telma, Director, Europe and Central Asia, International Financial Corporation (IFC);
Mattia Romani, Managing Director for Economics, Policy and Governance at the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development EBRD;
July 11, 2017. The 10-th anniversary meeting of Kazakh-German Business Council was held in «Ritz Carlton» hotel in Astana, on which representatives of JSC «NMH «Baiterek» and «Deutsche Bank» have gathered.
Around 150 representatives of official and business communities of the Republic of Kazakhstan and Germany attended the event, these included about 50 participants from German party and 100 participants from Kazakh party. The event was attended by such members of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan, as Minister of Investments and Development Z. Kasybek, Minister of Healthcare E. Birtanov and Minister of Energy K. Bozumbayev.
The event was addressed by Ulf Wokurka, Chairman of the Board of «Kazakhstan Foreign Investors Council» and a part-time Chairman of the Board of «Kazkommertsbank» JSC, who noted the progressive development of Kazakh-German trade and economic cooperation.
Welcoming remarks were made by the Chairman of JSC «NMH «Baiterek» Y. Dosayev and the Chief Manager for CIS countries P. Tils, who noted the contribution of the dialogue towards the development process of bilateral trade and investment cooperation and the necessity of implementation of collaborative projects.
In his speech, Minister of Investments Z. Kasymbek informed about systemic events, undertaken to attract investments. Minster highlighted the commitment of his agency to extend all necessary assistance to the implementation of collaborative Kazakh-German projects.
The ambassadors R. Mafael and B. Nusupov noted the importance and symbolic significance of the Business Council meetings during the official visit of the President of Germany Frank-Walter Steinmeier to the Republic of Kazakhstan, who was accompanied by a solid delegation, which included key ministers and leaders of economic bodies. German party noted the increasing role of the RK in the WTO system, which will contribute to the progressive development of bilateral trade and investment partnership. The ambassadors noted the growing dynamism of business relations, as shown by organization of more than 30 visits of business missions and 13 events of investment nature during the first half of 2017.
Chairman of JSC «НК «KazakhInvest» M. Kashabaev gave a presentation on investment capabilities of the RK. The audience was informed about main priorities of investment policy of the country, as well as capabilities and tools of national company that would help attract direct investments to key sectors of the economy, including infrastructure projects.
Within the framework of the event the representatives of German business sectors made statements at their own initiative. In particular, CEO’s of «DMT German Geo Technologies», «German Association of Machinery and Equipment Manufacturers», «Linde AG», «STADA» etc., discussed activities of their companies.
Within the framework of the business council, leaders of the ministries, organizations, business associations and private companies signed 21 agreements worth 872 million euros.
I. Events (business councils, business breakfasts, forums etc.)
In 2016, the Holding along with Iran Chamber of Industries and Trade conducted 2 meetings of Kazakh-Iranian Business Council in Tehran.
1. The first meeting was held on February 8, 2016.
More than 500 people participated in the event, including over 100 Kazakh companies, as well as top 200 Iranian companies that operate in processing, food, machine-building, petrochemical, agro-industrial and other economic sectors.
As the result, several agreements were signed in oil, gas and agricultural sectors, as well as on delivery of electronic, railway equipment etc.; were also reached preliminary agreements with National Foundation for the Development of IRI on the development of existing projects.
Business Council contributed to unification of business communities of the RK and IRI and attracted public authorities, which can contribute to elimination of barriers in implementation of Kazakh-Iranian commercial projects.
2. The second meeting was held on April 10, 2016 before the visit of the Head of State Nazarbayev N.A. to Islamic Republic of Iran.
The meeting was attended by 40 Kazakh and 60 Iranian companies. 48 documents worth more than 1 billion dollars were signed, 9 of which are worth 306 million dollars and signed by subsidiaries of the Holding and its partner companies. Among these agreements – construction of the factory on manufacturing soda ash, export of meat products, ovine meat, grain and providing railway transportation.
3. On December 21, 2016 the 3-rd meeting of the Kazakh-Iranian Business Council was held during the visit of the President of Islamic Republic of Iran H. Rouhani to Astana. Minister of Investments and Development, Republic of Kazakhstan (RK) Z. Kasymbek and the Director of the Office of the President of the Islamic Republic of Iran (IRI) M. Nahavandian opened the meeting.
During the meeting, the parties have discussed important issues of further development of trade, economic and investment cooperation between RK and IRI, including the importance of collaborative promotion of investment projects and identifying the optimal mechanism for mutual settlements in trade activities.
Following the meeting of the Business Council, the agreements were signed between JSC «KTZ Express» and Iranian Company «IRISL» (the signatories – Iskakov D.Z. and Mohammad Saedi) on creation of private JSC «Iran – Kazakhstan Logistic Company».
In total, 195 people, 145 of which represented Kazakh party and 50 from Iranian party participated in the event, including B2B meetings.
4. On May 20, 2016 the Holding together with Deutsche Bank held the 9-th meeting of Kazakh-German Business Council in Berlin. The meeting was chaired by the Deputy Chairman of the Board of the Holding Ibragimova L.E. and Managing Director of Deutsche Bank P. Tils.
Around 40 representatives of Kazakh and German companies that implement joint projects in the territory of Kazakhstan attended the meeting. During the meeting, they discussed pressing issues of implementation of the List of priority projects on implementation of Intergovernmental Agreement on partnership in commodity, industrial and technological areas between RK and FRG. In addition, heads of subsidiaries of the Holding made presentations about the companies that participate in Privatization Programme.
During the visit of delegation of the Holding, bilateral meetings were held with Deputy Chairman of the Board of the Holding Ibragimova L.E. and heads of major German companies, such as: Claas, Siemens, Robert Bosch, CAC Chemie-Anlagenbau Chemnitz, DEG and German Housing Bank Bausparkasse .
5. On May 23-25, 2016, within the framework of Astana Economic Forum (AEF), the Holding together with The Economist conducted a joint session on privatization. More than 100 people attended the meeting, including representatives of international financial organizations, foreign companies and financial institutions. The Holding showed a presentation of assets of its companies that participate in Privatization Programme.
During the AEF, the Holding together with Development Bank of Kazakhstan organized exhibitions, where they presented industrial and innovation projects, funded by the group of companies of the Holding, as well as the projects, implemented by ZSSB, CEG, KMC etc.
6. In June, 2016 in Almaty, the Holding together with American Chamber organized a roundtable meeting between the Chairman of the Board of the Holding Y. Dosaev and representatives of American companies, where managers of the Holding showed a presentation and conducted discussions on Privatization Programme, implemented by the Holding.
7. On October 4, 2016 in Astana, within the framework of the XIII Forum of Interregional Cooperation between Kazakhstan and Russia a business breakfast was held on the topic «Supporting domestic export: objectives of the State and Business». More than 50 people participated in the event, including representatives of Kazakh and Russian companies, banks and international financial organizations. A wide range of issues has been discussed on the support of export of goods and services to external markets.
8. On October 17, 2017 in Astana during the visit of Swiss business delegation chaired by Minister of Economy and Safety of the Canton of Geneva Pier Mode a formal dinner was held on behalf of the Chairman of the Board of the Holding Dosaev Y.A. in Astana Marriott Hotel (Vista Vip room). From Swiss party, 10 people participated at the meeting, including representatives of state authorities and companies in the area of infrastructure, medical and technological development. From the Kazakh party, authorities of the Ministry of Healthcare and Social Welfare, JSC «NAC «Kazatomprom», JSC «KazMunaiGas» and JSC «Kazakhstan Temir Zholy» attended the meeting.
The parties have discussed the opportunity of enhancing Kazakh-Swiss cooperation in implementation of joint projects in the area of investments, technology and infrastructure. Swiss party expressed its willingness to assist in implementation of Privatization Programme in oil, gas, energy, chemical, transport and logistics sectors. In addition, they reached the information sharing agreement on implementation of existing projects.
II. Organization of visits and meetings of the Chairman of the Board and top managers of the Holding to foreign countries.
1. On July 22-25 (Schwerin, Berlin) Khamitov E.A., Managing Director – Member of the Board of the Holding participated in the visit of the First Vice President of Investment and Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan A. Rau to Germany and attended the 10-th meeting of the Kazakh-German Intergovernmental Working Group on trade and economic cooperation. At the meeting of Intergovernmental Commission, the reports were provided on the activities of Kazakh-German Business Council and status of implementation of the list of priority projects. In addition, Khamitov E.A. participated in bilateral meetings between A. Rau and such German companies as Terranex, Metro, Linde, CAC Chemie-Anlagenbau Chemnitz, Lavaris etc.
2. On June 13-15, 2016 (Stuttgart, Geneva) a visit of the Chairman of the Board Dosaev Y.A. to Germany and Switzerland was organized. In Stuttgard he met with the Chairman of the Board of German Housing Bank Bausparkasse Schwäbisch Hall, Mr. Reinhard Klein, where they discussed issues of strategic cooperation within the framework of implementation of Privatization Programme.
In addition, in Geneva he met with the President of Kazakh-Swiss Trade Chamber Mr. Guy Mettan and Swiss companies, where they discussed issues of possible cooperation in various sectors of economy.
3. On August 22-23, 2016 (Warsawa) Chairman of the Board of the Holding Dosaev Y.A. participated in the visit of the Head of State to Poland. During the visit, several events were held with the President of the RK, as well as bilateral meetings with financial development institutions of Poland.
Three agreements were signed during the meeting:
1) Cooperation agreement between Polish Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego and JSC «Development Bank of Kazakhstan»;
2) Memorandum of cooperation between «Damu» Entrepreneurship Development Fund and Polish entrepreneurship development agency;
3) Agreement on reinsurance of risks between JSC «KazExportGarant» Export-Credit Insurance Company» and Polish export credit insurance agency KUKE.
4. On September 1-2, 2016 (Beijing) Chairman of the Board of the Holding Dosaev Y.A. participated in the visit of the Head of State to People’s Republic of China.
During the visit to PRC in September, several bilateral meetings were held between the Chairman of the Board of the Holding and leaders of the CITIC Group, CITIC Capital, Asian Bank of Infrastructure Investments, Exim Bank of China and China Development Bank.
The meeting discussed issues of implementation of industrial and infrastructural projects as part of «Nurly Zhol» state programmes, Programme of Accelerated Industrial and Innovative Development, importance of development of human capital, as well as funding opportunities for investment projects on the territory of the RK, using the new tools of the Holding.
5. On October 5-10, 2016 (New-York, Washington) Chairman of the Board of the Holding Dosaev Y.A. visited the United States of America in order to participate as a head of the Kazakh delegation in the annual meeting of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund.
Head of the Kazakh delegation, Chairman of the Board of the Holding held meetings with the President of International Financial Corporation (IFC) Mr. Philippe Le Houerou, Vice-President of the World Bank, Mr. Cyrill Muller, as well as Vice-President of the Global Customer Service of International Financial Corporation (IFC) Mr. Dimitris Tsisiragos. The prospects of bilateral and multilateral cooperation, including issues initiation of new programmes, which correspond to social and economic priorities of the RK were discussed during the meeting. The opportunities of localization of regional representation of IFC in Kazakhstan were also discussed.
During the visit of the Chairman of the Board, there were also numerous bilateral meetings with American investment companies and such international financial organizations as: Messina Group, Oppenheimer & Co., Blackstone Group, Warburg Pincus, Credit Suisse, KKR Global Institute etc.
Following the visit the Assignment Protocol was prepared and forwarded to subsidiaries for further consideration of issues of cooperation.
6. On October 24-25, 2015 (Riyadh) Chairman of the Board of the Holding Dosaev Y.A. participated in the visit of the President of the RK to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. During his visit, the Head of State participated in the events (meeting with business leaders etc.), as well as bilateral meeting with the president of Islamic Development Bank Khaled Al Abudi .
7. On November 6-10, 2016 (Tokyo and Seoul) delegation of the Holding, chaired by the Chairman of the Board Dosaev Y.A. visited Japan and Korea, as a part of the visits of the Head of State.
During the visits, management of the Holding participated in the events together with the Head of State, and held bilateral meetings with the heads Japanese and Korean financial development institutions, companies and banks, such as: Japan Technology Group, Nippon Export and Investment Insurance (NEXI), «J-Star Co.» Investment Fund, Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Japanese Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC), «Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation», «Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ», Korea Development Bank, Korea Trade Insurance Corporation (K-sure), «Hyundai Engineering» and «SK E&C».
The following agreements were signed in Tokyo:
- framework agreement between JSC «Development Bank of Kazakhstan» and «Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation» worth 300 million US dollars;
- framework agreement between JSC «Development Bank of Kazakhstan» and «Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ» worth 100 million US dollars;
- Memorandum of Understanding between JSC «KazExportGarant» and NEXI;
- Memorandum of Understanding between JSC «National Agency for Technological Development» and «Japan TechnologyGroup Inc».
The following agreements were signed in Seoul:
- trilateral Memorandum of Understanding between the Holding, JSC «Housing Construction Guarantee Fund» and Korea Housing Guarantee Corporation;
- Memorandum of Understanding between JSC «Development Bank of Kazakhstan» and Korea Trade Insurance Corporation (K-sure);
- Memorandum of Understanding between JSC «KazExportGarant» and Korea Trade Insurance Corporation (K-sure).
In total there were 9 events, 3 meetings of Kazakh-Iranian Business Council, 1 meeting of Kazakh-German Business Council, 2 events under the AEF (session and exhibition), 1 roundtable meeting with representatives of American business, business breakfast with Kazakh and Russian exporters, as well as business breakfast with Swiss delegation.
There were around 7 (seven) visits of the Chairman of the Board and Deputy Chairman of the Board to foreign countries during the visits of the Head of State, as well as individual visits of the management of the Holding. During those visits, 46 meetings with financial institutions and investment companies of the foreign companies were held. More than 10 agreements were signed with foreign partners.
Within the framework of cooperation with foreign companies and international financial institutions, $2.2 billion worth of foreign direct investments were attracted in 2014.
Thus, within the framework of official visit by the President of the Republic of Kzakhstan N.A. Nazarbayev to People’s Republic of China from March 20 till March 22, 2014, management of the Holding has signed the following international acts:
1. Memorandum of understanding with Export-Import Bank of China on financing of modernization and reconstruction projects for Shymkent oil refinery for a total amount of $1 billion;
2. General agreement with State Development Bank of China on allocating credit line for a total amount of $500 million.
In December 2014, at the meeting of Kazakh-Chinese business council, the Holding and China-Eurasian Economic Cooperation Fund have signed a memorandum of understanding on creation of China-Kazakhstan investment and cooperation fund for a total amount of $500 million.
In order to support small and medium-size enterprises the Holding attracted around $122 million from Asian Development Bank.
During the visit of the king of Bahrain to Kazakhstan in April of last year, the Holding and Bahrain holding Mumtalakat holding company have signed a memorandum of understanding.
Cooperation with Islamic Development Bank and its subsidiaries was also significant. On May 23, 2014 in the course of the meeting between Chairman of the Board of the Holding K.V. Bishimbayev and the president ofIslamic Corporation for the Development of the Private Sector (ICD) H.M. Al-Abudi, a memorandum of cooperation was signed between JSC Investment Fund of Kazakhstan and ICD.
On May 23, 2014 within the framework of Astana Economic Forum a separate session was conducted on a topic «Role of JSC «NMH «Baiterek» in economic development of Kazakhstan». More than 120 people took part in the session, including representatives of foreign companies, known world politicians and executives, public officials, leaders of national companies and development institutions. Memorandum of understanding between the Holding and International Financial Coroporation was signed during the event. Purpose of the memorandum is the creation of foundation for assistance and implementation of pilot projects within the framework of PPP.
On November 10, 2014 the Holding held the 7-th meeting of Kazakh-German Business Council. From Kazakh party the meeting was co-chaired by the Chairman of the Holding K.V. Bishimbayev. German delegation was chaired by the foreign minister of Federal Republic of Germany V.F. Stenmeier.
German delegation was presented by the leaders of major companies from different areas of activity, such as METROAG, KnaufGruppe, ThyssenKruppElevatorsCENAGmbH, SAPSE. Total number of participants from German party was more that 60 people.
Issues of implementation of priority investment projects, as well as issues pf bilateral trade and economic relations were discussed during the meeting.
In total, in 2014, management of the Holding held more than 100 meetings with state and business representatives from many different countries.
In 2013 JSC “National Managing Holding “Baiterek” took a part in more than 25 international events.
The key-note events are:
- Participation of Holding in constituent conference of Kazakhstan Chinese Business Council on 07 September, 2013, where were signed 3 documents in the presence of two Heads of States: Memorandum on cooperation with China Development Bank, Memorandum on cooperation with Export-Import Bank of China, investment agreement on glass manufacturing plant building in Kyzylorda district;
- Participation of the Chairman of Board in Kazakhstan Britain Business Council on 01-02 November, 2013 in London, where Memorandum on cooperation between Holding and Macquarie Company was signed;
- Visit of Holding delegation to Federal Republic of Germany on 01-04 December, 2013 where were reached meaningful agreements in innovation and investment spheres as well as in the sphere of small and medium business support.